What special precautions or practices should a private practitioner adopt in order to minimize professional liability and ensure that their treatment of clients remains soundly within the boundaries of professional practice standards? The American Counseling Association as well as individual state counseling associations (i.e., ICA, AzCA) provide a variety of resources to clinicians. Choose either the ACA or your state’s counseling association. What are its member benefits, activities, services to members, and current issue? How could membership be especially helpful to the private practitioner? Summarize what the ACA Code of Ethics says about the following: report writing, record keeping, and service reimbursement.
This discussion question meets the following CACREP Standard: 5.C.2.m. Record keeping, third party reimbursement, and other practice and management issues in clinical mental health counseling.
This discussion question meets the following NASAC Standards:
15) Understand the variety of insurance and health maintenance options available, and appreciate the importance of helping clients access those benefits.
20) Understand the addiction professional’s obligation to adhere to generally accepted ethical and behavioral standards of conduct in the helping relationship.
21) Understand the importance of ongoing supervision and continuing education in the delivery of client services.
47) Inform the client of his/her confidentiality rights, program procedures that safeguard them, and the exceptions imposed by statute.
65) Apply confidentiality-related legal restrictions appropriately.
116) Demonstrate ethical behaviors by adhering to established professional codes of ethics that define the professional context within which the counselor works, in order to maintain professional standards and safeguard the client.
118) Adhere to federal and state laws, and agency regulations, regarding addictions treatment.
121) Conduct culturally appropriate self-evaluations of professional performance, applying ethical, legal, and professional standards to enhance self-awareness and performance.