The role of the United States within the field of global psychology continues to change. In its infancy, psychology practiced within the United States represented a wide range of ideas—representative of the many lands from which its citizens had immigrated. However, as the U.S. developed and thrived, many of its psychologists became more interested in the western home-grown version of psychology and less interested in the study and exploration of psychology from outside U.S. borders. The authors of your course text, Stevens and Gielen (2007) explain that when one country dominates a discipline, such as the United States has in the field of psychology, the field can become narrow and emphasize limited points of view that may not be applicable throughout the world. The United States will still be a presence within global psychology over the next few decades, but it is expected that there will be some significant shifts of power and influence within the field from other countries.
Collaboration is a critical feature within global psychology. Sometimes collaboration can be difficult in a world with diverse people, geography, politics, and beliefs. In order for professionals to work together throughout the world, it is important to have some shared standards and philosophies. While it is not necessary for psychologists to agree on all issues, it is helpful to respect and appreciate a variety of theories and viewpoints.
To prepare for this Assignment:
· Review Chapter 2 in your course text, paying particular attention to the following sections: “U.S. Psychology Versus Other Psychologies,” “Dissatisfaction with U.S. Dominance in Psychology,” “Dissatisfaction with Western Psychology,” and “Emerging Countries in Psychology.”
· Consider how United States dominance in global psychology has detracted from or even hurt the development of the field of psychology in countries around the world.
· Consider how the dissatisfaction with Western Psychology and the dominance model has muted the impact of other current and potential psychology models.
· Consider whether you agree or disagree with the accusation that American psychology is xenophobic.
· Think about how psychologists with an interest in global psychology might influence the discipline to satisfy those who are concerned about the United States dominance in psychology.
The Assignment (3–4 pages):
· Explain two ways in which United States dominance in global psychology has detracted from or even hurt the development of the field of psychology in countries around the world.
· Explain why psychologists around the world experience dissatisfaction with Western psychology.
· Articulate how the Western dominance model has muted the impact of other current and potential psychology models.
· Take a position (agree or disagree) with the accusation that Western psychology is xenophobic. Then, defend your position.
· Explain how global psychologists might influence the discipline to satisfy those who are concerned about Western dominance in psychology.
>Note: Support the responses within your Assignment with evidence from the assigned Learning Resources. Provide a reference list for resources you used for this Assignment.
Course Text: Stevens, M. J., & Gielen, U. P. (2007). Toward a glob al psychology: Theory, research, intervention, and pedagogy. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
· Chapter 1, “Orientation to a Global Psychology”
· Chapter 2, “International Perspectives on the History of Psychology
The post United States Dominance in Psychology appeared first on Smart Essays.