PART A “Public Health Services” Please respond to the following:
- Analyze two (2) essential public health care services found in the text. Examine these services in relationship to one (1) well-known healthcare organization in your community. Provide specific examples to support your analysis.
- Examine the involvement of both the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA) in health care. Interpret the extent to which the involvement of each agency improves the federal government’s response to health problems overall. Support your rationale with two (2) specific examples for each agency.
PLEASE RESPOND TO CLASSMATE DISCUSSION WHETHER YOU AGREE OR NOT & A DETAILED WHY: Two essential public health care services that I found in the text that would be beneficial would be 1) Linking people to the needed personal health services and ensure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable. 2) Evaluating effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services. Examine these services in relationship to one (1) well-known health care organization in your community. Provide specific examples to support your analysis. My Community is Mecklenburg County which is located in Charlotte NC. The county is very hands on or at least giving people resources if they have questions or concerns dealing with public health issues. The is a common website called mecknc.gov where anyone can view for assistance in general. They have blogs dealing with health issues from articles o public meeting to help discuss how to make the county serve the people better. Examine the involvement of both the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA) in health care. Interpret the extent to which the involvement of each agency improves the federal government’s response to health problems overall. Support your rationale with two (2) specific examples for each agency.
The Environmental Protection Agency protects people and the environment from health risks. For example, the EPA organizes cleanup on the land and controlled waters, and this is done because of the multiple oil spills or hazardous waste being spilled. Another example would be that the EPA tries to control the source of energy and save it as much as possible. Physical examples would energy saving washing machines or energy save stoves and other appliances. Occupational Safety and Health Agency is to assure the safety and health of the workers at the facility. It makes sure that the workplace is hazard free for employees to work and feel safe and be safe as they are working during their shift in the organization. Examples of OSHA would be to keep the employees healthy and safe while at working. Making sure that hazardous substances are not consumed that could potentially harm them.
Part B – “Disease Control” Please respond to the following:
- E-Activity 1 – Use the Internet to research the National Vaccine Plan on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Website, located at http://www.hhs.gov/nvpo/vacc_plan/. Then use the Internet to research your state public health agency’s current immunization initiatives. NEW YORK STATE
- E-Activity 2 – Use the Internet to research your state public health agency’s response to a pandemic event. (Albany, NY)
- From the first e-Activity, compare your state public health agency to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service (DHHS) in relation to each agency’s approach to disease management. Examine the role that each public health agency would play in the event of a disease outbreak. Provide two (2) examples to support your response.
- From the second e-Activity, analyze two to three (2-3) strategies that your state public health agency would employ in response to a pandemic event. From modifications made to policies in the last five years, infer the related lessons that have been learned. Support your rationale with specific examples of these strategic modifications.
PLEASE RESPOND TO CLASSMATE DISCUSSION WHETHER YOU AGREE OR NOT & A DETAILED WHY: I searched the Pennsylvania Department of Health 28PA-Code regulations of Communicable and Vaccine- Preventable Diseases. In the case of a measles outbreak section 27.75 titled Exclusion of children, and staff having contact with children, during a measles outbreak states that children, and staff, including a volunteer, having contact with children, shall be excluded from school during a measles outbreak under the procedures described in § 27.160 (relating to special requirements for measles). Section 27.73 Lists the readmission of excluded children, and staff having contact with children as follows:
(a) A child or staff person, including a volunteer, having contact with children, excluded from a public, private, parochial or other school or college under § 27.72 (relating to exclusion of children, and staff having contact with children, for showing symptoms) may not be readmitted until the school nurse or, in the absence of a school nurse, a physician, is satisfied that the condition for which the person was excluded is not communicable or until the person presents a statement from a physician that the person has recovered or is noninfectious.
(b) A child, or staff person, including a volunteer, having contact with children, excluded for the following reasons shall be readmitted only when a physician has determined the illness to be either resolved, noncommunicable or in a noncommunicable stage: (1) Rash with fever or behavioral change. (2) Productive cough with fever.
The last Pandemic of influenza was in 2009 and Pennsylvania drafted a Pandemic Influenza Preparedness and Response Planning:Guidelines for Community Corrections. One of the strategies refers to the planning and preparedness before an even takes place. It lists the legal actions they are allowed to take and the people that would be in charge of planning and to set up a chain of command. In the event of a pandemic it is already known who would be in charge of what. Another strategy is in regards to prevention and detection. It states that they must develop policies and procedures outlining the actions staff must take when flu-like symptoms are identified or suspected in themselves or in others.
Changes in the the actions taken from one pandemic to the next occur because of the mistakes made and after the fact the agency will need to decide how it can be prevented or at least scaled down the next time happens. That is why these regulations can and will develop over time. Tags: healthcare discussion post