Nursing Leaders as Ethical-Legal Change Agents in Health Care
Research ethical decision-making and legal issues that influence your role as a nursing leader. Explain how you see your role as a nursing leader making ethical-legal and moral decisions. Include what actions you plan to take to solve moral distress caused by ethical dilemmas and the values that support your actions.
Topic 2: Comparing Ethical Principles
Compare two ethical principles that apply to ethical decision-making and how each one fits your own personal belief system and the role of the advanced practice nurse. Your response to the two topics should be between 2 to 3 pages excluding the cover and reference pages.
Essentials of Nursing Law and Ethics
- Chapter 1: “The Legal Environment”
- Chapter 11: “Patient’s Rights and Responsibilities”
- Chapter 13: “Competency and Guardianship”
- Chapter 14: “Informed Consent”
- Chapter 43: “Intentional Torts”
- Chapter 45: “Ethical Decision Making”
- Chapter 46: “Professional Boundaries and Patient Relations”
- Appendix A
- Appendix 7.1: “References to Legal Materials”
Jack, K., & Smith, A. (2007). Promoting self-awareness in nurses to improve nursing practice. (Cover story). Nursing Standard, 21(32), 47–52.
- American Nurses Association Nursing World. (2015). Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements. Retrieved from http://nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/EthicsStandards/CodeofEthicsforNurses