Review Sheet Week 7
- What does the term IMViC mean?
- Why is the IMViC useful in identifying
- Enterobacteriaceae? Are further biochemical tests necessary for complete identification?
- What diagnostic test differentiates
- ProteusandProvidenciaspecies from otherEnterobacteriaceae?
- How is
- E. colidistinguished fromP. vulgarison MacConkey agar? On a TSI slant?
- Instead of TSI, why would a slant medium containing only dextrose and lactose (not sucrose) be preferable for detecting
- Y. enterocolitica?
- What procedures, other than biochemical, are used to identify microorganisms?
- What is the purpose of the control test run in parallel with bacterial agglutination?
- What is the value of serological identification of a microorganism as compared with culture identification?
- Describe two mechanisms by which
- E. colican produce disease.
- What is meant by the term “enteric pathogen”?
- Name a bacterial pathogen, other than one of the Enterobacteriaceae, that causes intestinal disease. Provide a flowchart indicating how you would make the laboratory diagnosis.
- Why is it important to differentiate glucose nonfermenters from
Page 1 of 1 From
Laboratory Manual & Workbook in Microbiology Applications to Patient Care (9th ed.). By Josephine A. Morello, Helen Eckel Mizer, and Paul A. Granato Copyright ÂŠ 2006 The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. Reprinted with permission of The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.