1. “Mediation” is best described by which of the following sentences?
|A.||A program that teaches about the process of divorce and possible negative outcomes of getting a divorce|
|B.||An open exploration of the couple’s relationship and the individual processes of each family member|
|C.||A formal process of negotiating differences in relationship to finances, child support, and custody issues|
|D.||The process of learning how to center oneself and obtain inner peace|
1. The ________ Phase in the Grief Timeline is characterized by numbness, crying, and emotional distance.
1. Which of the following behaviors characterize Borderline Personality Disorder?
|A.||High levels of emotional distress|
|B.||Suicidality and self-harm|
|C.||Fears of abandonment|
|D.||All of the above are characteristics of Borderline Personality Disorder|
1. There are three different types of intervention s for divorcing couples. Which of the following is NOT one of those three different types of intervention?
|B.||Medically assisted programs|
1. In working with a family dealing with grief, the counselor can expect the process of counseling to progress through three distinct stages/phases in the “Grief Timeline.” Those three stages are labeled as such:
|A.||Shock, Disorganization, Reorganization|
|B.||Id, Ego, Super-Ego|
|C.||Shock, Disbelief, Organization|
|D.||Denial, Anger, Bargaining|
1. Which of the following are true, according to research cited in the Gurman text?
|A.||Almost everyone who experiences divorce exhibits some sort of short term negative consequence|
|B.||Children and adults exhibit more role strain and a greater number of behavioral problems|
|C.||After an initial period of 1-2 years, most family members of divorcing families do well, and cannot be distinguished from families who have not gone through a divorce|
|D.||All of the above are true statements|
1. As indicated in the Gurman text, which of the following should be shared with the couple during Stage 1 of recovery from an affair?
|A.||A summary of the problems the couple is currently facing|
|B.||A summary of financial obligations arising from the cost of counseling|
|C.||Legal advice on how to proceed with a divorce or separation|
|D.||Advice on how to best handle visitation rights, should any children be involved|
1. Gurman suggests that a “self-care plan” be integrated into the first phase of working with a couple after an affair. This self-care plan should include:
|A.||Physical care, social support, and spiritual support.|
|B.||Directives on how to best repair the damage that has been done to the relationship|
|C.||Activities geared towards learning community values related to extramarital affairs|
|D.||Social support ONLY|
1. The concept of “forgiveness” is usually introduced during the final stages of counseling following an affair because:
|A.||It may be difficult for someone who is in a great deal of pain to be willing to consider the need to forgive their partner for having an affair|
|B.||Insurance companies do not reimburse for “forgiveness work” in the early stages of recovery from an affair|
|C.||The aggrieved member of the family must obtain spiritual guidance before offering to forgive someone|
|D.||Forgiveness activities can only be conducted under the supervision of the family/couples faith leader|
1. During the __________________ Phase, the client experiences the strongest feelings of grief, and the structure and function of the family are severely impacted.
1. According to Lara and Kinsvatter (2010) (Week 8 Resources), the loss of a job may result in:
|C.||Disturance of Identity|
|D.||All of the above|
1. The concept of “forgiveness” during the recovery from an affair should take place:
|A.||At the beginning of the therapeutic process|
|B.||During the final stages of the therapeutic process|
|C.||Only after the counselor has been given clearance to do so by supervising psychiatrist|
|D.||During the “middle stages” of the therapeutic process|
1. Rates of Borderline Personality are relatively low. It is mentioned in the text that ____ of the population meets full diagnostic criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder.
1. The ____________________ Phase is characterized by the client’s ability to face the world in the face of their loss, and grief reactions are less intense. The client is restored to a level of functioning prior to their loss.
1. Which of the following is most frequently cited as the reason for why marriages end?
|D.||Gender role ambiguity|
1. Which of the following are predictive of a couple’s ability to recover from an affair?
|A.||The ability to discuss the affair and it’s antecedents openly|
|B.||A high level of commitment to the couple|
|C.||The ability of one partner to openly blame another partner for the affair|
|D.||A and B Only|
1. Which if the following have been shown to be evidence-based or promising interventions for Borderline Personality Disorder, according to the Gurman text?
|A.||Dialectical Behavior Therapy|
|B.||Pscyho-analytic Behavior Therapy|
|C.||Conjoint Dialectical Hypnosis|
1. McBride and Simms (2001) (Week 8 Resources) describe the four tasks of mourning. Those four tasks are described as:
|A.||Accepting reality, Experiencing the Pain, Adapting to the Environment, and Reinvestment|
|B.||Denial, Anger, Bargaining, and Acceptance|
|C.||Self-Actualization, Differentiation of Self, Inner Awareness, and Field Formation|
|D.||Trust vs Mistrust, Industry vs Inferiority, Acceptance of Self, and Ego Management|
1. Which of the following best describes the interplay of violence and divorce procedures?
|A.||Rates of violence during divorce proceedings are extremely low, thus relieving the counselor of any concern for the possibility of violence|
|B.||During divorce procedures, even people with no history of violence may engage in violent confrontations|
|C.||Even if a risk of violence is possible, it is mandatory that all parties be seen together in an effort to promote the sense of fairness and impartiality|
|D.||Due to the sensitive nature of divorce proceedings, counselors are not obligated to report concerns about safety, abuse, or neglect|
1. During the process of counseling a couple/family recovering from an affair, it is suggested that:
|A.||In the beginning, only individual sessions take place|
|B.||In the beginning, only conjoint sessions take place|
|C.||In the first stages of counseling, both individual and conjoint sessions take place|
|D.||The counselor needs to align with one of the partners in an effort to promote instability in the family system|
1. Which if the following is NOT a one of the stages of the treatment for a couple/family recovering from an affair?
|A.||Dealing with the Impact|
1. In assessing a couple seeking treatment following an affair, it is important to assess which of the following?
|A.||Length of relationship|
|B.||Previous marriages and how they ended|
|C.||Crises requiring immediate attention|
|D.||All of the above should be assessed|
1. Which of the following techniques might be integrated during the recovery process following an affair?
|A.||Problem solving techniques|
|B.||Emotional expression skills|
|C.||“Time out” and “venting” techniques|
|D.||All of the above might by integrated during the recovery process|
1. McBride and Simms (2001) (Week 8 Resources) suggest that in the beginning of the grief process:
|A.||Sessions should be more frequent|
|B.||Sessions should be scheduled only twice per month, so as to decrease the chance for the client to develop dependence on the counselor|
|C.||Phone contact might be necessary, due to the client being overwhelmed and isolated|
|D.||A and C are correct|
The post “Mediation” is best described by which of the following sentences? appeared first on Smart Essays.