Assume that you are the HR manager and that your organisation requires you to provide a plan and a set of recommendations that would identify parameters and protocols for design and development of an HR DBMS.
Your organisation is going through a high growth phase and needs to recruit and train about 500 employees in the next 12 months.
It also needs to identify the performance and skill profiles of present employees for later possible redundancies.
The central question that you need to consider: What characteristics should a credible HR Data base for the high-growth industry should have? In another words, if you are to design a DBMS for your company, what functionalities would you integrate into your DBMS.
Once you have outlines the design parameters, you need to rationalise your choice and need to highlight the need for functionalities in the context of the case organisation and the job/job category you are focusing on.
The design parameters of the DBMS of your case organisation should be directly applied to at least 2 of the functions below in your organisation:
- Recruitment and selection
- Training and development
- Career planning
- Performance review
- Occupational health & safety
Finally, you need to address the manner by which IT can assist in your addressing the above factors. For the case industry, your organization should be one of the following;
- An Airline with a recent modernisation strategy in place where a new fleet has replaced the older planes and hence new crew with new set of skills and ongoing training requirements are employed.
- An Australian mining company with mining outposts in the Northern Plains of Western Australia.
- A tertiary educational institute that has applied for accreditation from The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Accreditation of AACSB required mandatory training and audit of skills of the academic staff. In addition the directive regarding the teaching load, research and community service should be abided by, audited, reported and be available in a transparent manner to the AACSB.
In preparing the first component of this assignment, assume, you need make certain the following directives are adhered to:
1) The organisation of choice needs to be a real company with operations in Australia and/or overseas.
2) Your paper will need to identify how HRIS is currently being utilised in your chosen HR functions, and how the unique characteristics of your choice organisation are reflected in the design parameters of its DBMS.
3) The two HR functions you choose to analyse should be amongst functions such as; recruitment, selection, induction, training, career planning, industrial relations, occupational health and safety, etc.
4) It is recommended that you select a specific job and/or job classification within your choice organisation and apply points 1, 2 and 3 to that specific job and/or job classification. For e.g. If your choice organisation is Rio Tinto (one of the largest mining companies in the world), then the DBMS could be designed to address two HR functions for mine engineers who will be posted to the outpost for 3 weeks shifts and are responsible for daily HR functions of the mining site.