Your task is to consider the following learning outcomes of the unit:
Explain the causes, environments, and properties of complex projects.
Identify different tools and techniques to aid a project manager manage complex projects.
Critically analyse whether different projects cases are complex projects.
Then you need to write an essay (not a report) describing how you consider the points above are related to:-
projects with lots of parts and interconnections;
projects that contain a great deal of uncertainty;
projects that are heavily time-constrained.
You should use examples from case studies that you are familiar with (PPMP20011, PPMP20012, PPMP 20013) and example case studies discussed during the unit to identify projects with the above characteristics.the projects case studies are discussed as below with a link
1)deep water horizon,
( https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-OILCOMMISSION/content-detail.html )
( http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/policy/single-view/view/channel-tunnels-unique-status-confirmed.html )
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Tunnel )
3)Brisbane parallel run way ,
( http://www.bne.com.au/corporate/projects/brisbanes-new-runway )
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuCbSlNy7I )
( http://www.bne.com.au/corporate/projects/airport-master-plan )
4)Queensland health pay roll system.
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg5Ut2RODB4 )
You should illustrate your points by identifying what are the causes, pertinent theories, tools and techniques that might be relevant to complex projects.
The primary purpose of this assessment item is to help you to be able to define your thinking and allow you to identify, classify and apply theories, tools and techniques related to complex project management. The secondary purpose of this assignment is to give you the opportunity to enhance your analysis, critical thinking and written communication skills; particularly in the areas of argument development and essay writing.
Your essay should be a properly constructed academic essay of 5,000 words. It should contain an effective introduction, body and conclusion. The introduction should introduce the essay and include your argument. The body should present the evidence you have collected to support your argument, and the conclusion should restate your argument, summarise the evidence and make a conclusion regarding your argument.
The essay should contain a coherent, but necessarily restricted review of the academic literature on the topics in question. The literature review should be integrated into the body of the essay, and not as a separate section. Do not include an executive summary or an abstract. A reference list formatted in the prescribed Harvard style is compulsory. Do not include a bibliography.
There is a paper called How to complete academic assignments through critical thinking and writing v01a.pdf included in the beginning of the Moodle web site that contains a further explanation of the essay format. An accompanying YouTube video also explains the same information.
This is an individual assignment with minimum mark requirements of 50% in order to pass the unit.
Your assignment will be assessed on the extent and quality to which it meets each of the following criteria.
1. A description of the theories and ideas specific to complex project management? (15%)
2. An explanation of the causes, environments, and properties of complex projects? (15%)
3. A discussion of the tools and techniques to aid a project manager manage complex projects? (15%)
4. Incorporation of project cases as illustration and arguments supporting the above? (10%)
5. Appropriate, well structured, concise and clear expression in response to the assessment task? (10%)
6. A clear flow of thought throughout the paper with a clear purpose described in the introduction and a comprehensive conclusion? (10%)
7. A critical review and integration of relevant academic and professional literature (cited at least twenty (20) times from six (6) separate reference sources)? (10%)
8. Clarity of expression, grammar and spelling? (5%)
9. Strict conformity to CQUniversity APA Referencing with pager numbers (5%)
10. Appropriate presentation format and presented within (±10%) of the word limit: 5,000 words? (5%)