A major feature of the U.S. healthcare system is its fragmented nature, as different people obtain healthcare through different means. The system has continued to undergo periodic changes, mainly in response to concerns regarding cost, access, and quality. (Shi & Singh, 2017, p. 2).
Through this week’s introduction, resources, and concepts covered, you have touched the surface of the complexity that characterizes the healthcare system. How might your experiences interacting with the healthcare system inform your understanding of health and the influence system components have on health outcomes?
In this Discussion, you will share and consider others’ experiences with the healthcare system and will reflect on the implications individual experiences have on health, populations, and systems on a larger scale.
- Review this week’s resources and reflect on the complexity of health systems and healthcare systems. Consider what questions you might have.
- Review the case study profiles in this week’s resources.
- Think about a personal challenge you may have experienced when interacting with the healthcare system.
- Consider potential solutions you might recommend to address these challenges for healthcare delivery.
By Day 3
Post a description of a time when you experienced a challenge with a health or healthcare system. Then, compare your experience with one of the provided case study profiles. Answer the following questions:
- How were your experiences similar and/or different?
- What advantages or disadvantages are apparent in the experiences?
- How do these individual experiences expose larger systemic issues in healthcare?
- What strategy might you recommend to address the larger systemic issues you identified? Provide examples. Be sure to support your proposed strategy with scholarly research.