HEALTH LAW REPORT FOR GOVERNMENT
- This assignment requires you to pretend that you are a legal advisor in the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. You are asked to write a brief report advising the Minister how she might use the law to respond to the policy issue described below. I have included another policy report below for you to follow as a sample for another issue that we covered in class.
- This assignment requires you to do external research. Please review the guide to legal citation that I have included below. This guide is a simplified version of the Canadian Uniform Guide to Legal Citation. Because this is a complex method of citation that you are unfamiliar with, you are not expected to consult the official guide or to have perfect citations. However, you should do your best to conform your citations to the samplesI have provided. You will not lose marks for your citations unless they do not bear a reasonable resemblance to the sample citations or if citations are missing. While you do not have to cite the basic legal principles I set out in the lectures, you should cite any legal principles that come from the materials I have provided or materials that you find on your own.Your citations can appear in either footnotes or endnotes.
- Your policy report should be single spaced, 12 point font, Times New Roman font, and 1 inch margins.
- You will be graded on the following criteria: your ability to identify the relevant issues, your understanding of the applicable legal principles, the strength of your arguments, the quality of your research, whether your conclusions are supported by the law, and to a lesser extent, the clarity of your writing, and your grammar and style.
- Should you have questions regarding your assignment after having read over this entire document carefully, please direct all questions to your assigned teaching assistant (per the announcements that I have posted). They will then triage which questions should be directed to me.
- While you may certainly discuss this assignment and the legal issues that it raises with your classmates, this assignment is to be completed independently. Please see the syllabus for further information on academic honesty.
- You will receive your grade within two weeks of the due date of this assignment.
- Good luck with your assignment.
To: Legal Advisor
One of the most pressing health issues in Canada and abroad is obesity. Its effect on health and health care costs is staggering. As you may have heard, several jurisdictions have explored the use of laws to encourage healthier eating, for example, by regulating the content of food or its labelling/advertising. The Minister of Health has asked us to prepare an analysis of how the government might use the law as a tool to encourage healthy eating. Can you please do some preliminary research for me into the types of laws that we might consider, including the potential concerns that these laws raise? You should not botherdiscussing the fact that some of thelegal strategies you suggest fall within federal rather than provincial jurisdiction, as we may collaborate with Health Canada on this matter.