The essay should include the following subheadings:
• Conceptualizes race
• Operationalizes race
• Census Bureau changes
• How changes to variables affect conclusions
INSTRUCTIONS: Make sure to follow the directions in order.
1. First, provide a definition of the terms: “conceptual definition” and “operational definition”.
2. Next, conceptualize and operationalize the variable “race.”
3. Read the Census Bureau’s report on race at: https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2011/dec/c2010br-02.pdf.
4. Answer the following questions after reading the report:
1. What changes did the Bureau make to the conceptualization and operationalization of race in the 2010 census?
2. Why did the Bureau make these changes?
3. Could the difference in operationalization produce different conclusions about race?
4. Does the Bureau’s conceptualization and operationalization of race coincide with yours? If so, how? If not, what is different?