Review the following lecture:
- Building Policy Competence
Disparities in Healthcare: Policy Recommendations
Before beginning work on this discussion forum, please review the link “Doing Discussion Questions Right”, the expanded grading rubric for the forum, and any specific instructions for this topic.
Before the end of the week, begin commenting on at least two of your classmates’ responses. You can ask technical questions or respond generally to the overall experience. Be objective, clear, and concise. Always use constructive language, even in criticism, to work toward the goal of positive progress. Submit your responses in the Discussion Area.
Healthcare disparities are the unique differences in health status that we see from individual to individual and from group to group. Different groups have different rates of disease and death depending on a number of characteristics—race, sexual orientation, geography, etc. Explore healthcare disparities in the U.S. and determine one group of people likely to experience discrimination in healthcare services.
- Identify one policy that encourages healthcare disparities. Explain how it encourages disparities.
- Recommend at least one policy that could help to reduce or eliminate healthcare disparities in that population. Please justify your answer with data and examples.
From the Internet, review the following:
- Kaiser Family Foundation. (2016 August 12). Disparities in health and health care. Retrieved from https://www.kff.org/disparities-policy/issue-brief…
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. (2017, October 20). Disparities. Retrieved from https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/foundatio…
To support your work, use your course and textbook readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Your posting should be a minimum of 200 words in length.