Teacher candidates will learn of development characteristics from a counselor/school psychologist of a middle/high school student. In this block, your field experience collaboration and interview must be completed when students are not present. I
Contact a counselor and school psychologist or resource teacher from grades 6-12 and arrange an interview. Speak with your instructor if there is the need to interview alternate professionals, if necessary.
Use the following points of discussion to guide your interview:
1. Discuss the perceived characteristics of this generations’ adolescence.
2. What characteristic is changing the most? Possible reasons why.
3. What characteristic seems to never change?
4. How is physical development influencing adolescent characteristics?
5. How is cognitive development influencing adolescent characteristics?
6. How and what socioeconomic developments are influencing adolescent characteristics?
7. What professional development may help staff cope with changing adolescent characteristics?
8. What technologies are being used to facilitate student learning?
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect on your interviews. Discuss the characteristics of physical and cognitive development during adolescence and the affect it has on the learning process for students. Explain the effect that physical, cognitive, social, and emotional relationships have on students during adolescence. Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.