This week, you will use role theory to apply to your chosen case study. In other words, your theoretical orientation—or lens—is role theory as you analyze the case study.
Use the same case study that you chose in Week 2. (Remember, you will be using this same case study throughout the entire course). Use the “Dissecting a Theory and Its Application to a Case Study” worksheet to help you dissect the theory. You do not need to submit this handout. It is a tool for you to use to dissect the theory, and then you can employ the information in the table to complete your assignment.
- Review and focus on the same case study that you used in Week 2.
- Review the websites and guides for developing PowerPoint skills found in the Learning Resources.
- Record presentation using CaptureSpace.
By Day 7
Submit a narrated PowerPoint presentation using Kaltura Media that includes 11 to 12 slides.
- Each slide should be written using bullet points, meaning no long paragraphs of written text should be in the slides.
- Include a brief narration of less than 30 seconds for each slide (i.e., the narration takes the place of any written paragraphs, while the bullet points provide context and cues for the audience to follow along).
Your presentation should address the following:
- Identify the presenting problem for the case study you selected. (Remember the presenting problem has to be framed from the perspective of role theory. For example, the presenting problem can be framed within the context of role functioning).
- Identify all the relevant roles assumed by the client.
- Analyze the social expectations and social and cultural norms revolving around the role, social position, and role scripts of one of the roles assumed by the client.
- Explain the role and social position of the social worker in working with the client in the case study.
- Describe how the role(s) and social position(s) assumed by the social worker will influence the relationship between the social worker and the client.
- Identify three assessment questions that are guided by role theory that you will ask the client to better understand the problem.
- Identify and describe two interventions that are aligned with the presenting problem and role theory.
- Identify one outcome that you would measure if you were to evaluate one of the interventions you would implement to determine if the intervention is effective.
- Evaluate one advantage and one limitation in using role theory in understanding the case.
Be sure to:
- Identify and correctly reference the case study you have chosen.
- Use literature to support your claims.
- Use APA formatting and style.
- Include the reference list on the last slide.
Turner, F. J. (Ed.). (2017). Social work treatment: Interlocking theoretical approaches (6th ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Chapter 26: The Psychosocial Framework of Social Work Practice (pp. 411–419)
Chapter 30: Role Theory and Concepts Applied to Personal and Social Change in Social Work (pp. 452–470)
Blakely, T. J., & Dziadosz, G. M. (2008). Case management and social role theory as partners in service delivery. Care Management Journals, 9(3), 106–112. doi:10.1891/1521-09188.8.131.52
Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases.
Dulin, A. M. (2007). A lesson on social role theory: an example of human behavior in the social environment theory. Advances in Social Work, 8(1), 104–112. Retrieved from https://advancesinsocialwork.iupui.edu/index.php/advancesinsocialwork/article/view/134
Document: Worksheet: Dissecting a Theory and Its Application to a Case Study (Word document)
Walden Library. (n.d.-a). Library webinar archives: Webinars on library skills. Retrieved December 8, 2017, from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/webinararchives/libraryskillswebinars
Browse this site to view webinars that introduce you to the Walden Library, including “Introduction to the Library” and “Search Strategies for New Students”
Walden Library. (n.d.-b). Searching and finding information in the library databases: Overview. Retrieved December 8, 2017, from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/searchingfinding
Walden University: Academic Skills Center. (n.d.-a). Microsoft PowerPoint resources: Quick guide. Retrieved December 8, 2017, from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/ASC/software/PPT/quickguide
Use this resource to learn skills for creating your PowerPoint presentation.
Document: Theory Into Practice: Four Social Work Case Studies (PDF)
Document: Guide for Creating and Uploading a PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
Laureate Education. (2017a). Theories knowledge check, part 1 [Interactive media]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Document: Theories Knowledge Check, Part 1 Transcript (PDF)
Healy, K. (2016). After the biomedical technology revolution: Where to now for a bio-psycho-social approach to social work? British Journal of Social Work, 46(5), 1446–1462. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcv051
The post Application Of Role Theory To A Case Study appeared first on Smart Essays.