Application Assignment: The Issues of Social Class
Historically, the counseling profession has often ignored the impact of social class. There has been little research in this area, and the majority of the research that exists focuses solely on the problems of poverty in isolation from the societal context of oppression. Consider the ways the subject of social class might influence your work as a counselor.
For this Application Assignment, review “Anthony’s Story” and use it as a starting point to reflect on your own worldview as it relates to social class.
In a 1- to 2-page paper:
· Describe the ways in which power and privilege shape your world view.
· Explain how your social class influences your worldview. Use the case study to support your explanation.
· Explain how your current social class or your worldview of your social class might influence your work as a counselor.
· Sue, D. W., & Sue, D. (2016). Counseling the culturally diverse: Theory and practice (7th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
o Chapter 7, “Barriers to Multicultural Counseling and Therapy: Individual and Family Perspectives” (pp. 215-250)
o Chapter 10, “Non-Western Indigenous Methods of Healing: Implications For Multicultural Counseling and Therapy” (pp. 321-351)
o Chapter 25, “Counseling for Individuals Living in Poverty” (pp. 705-723)
· Hays, P. A. (2016). Addressing cultural complexities in practice: Assessment, diagnosis, and therapy (3rd ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
o Chapter 5, “Understanding Clients’ Identities and Contexts” (pp. 79-99)
o Chapter 6, “Creating a Positive Therapeutic Alliance” (pp. 101-123)
· Thomas, A. J., & Schwarzbaum, S. (2006). Culture and identity: Life stories for counselors and therapists. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Culture and Identity: life stories for counselors and therapists, Volume / Edition by Thomas, A.J. and Schwarzbaum, S. Copyright 2006 by Sage Publications, Inc. Reprinted by permission of Sage Publications, Inc. via the Copyright Clearance Center.
o Chapter 12, “Katie’s Story: Catholic and Jewish? How Can It Be?” (pp. 217–237)
o Chapter 14, “Anthony’s Story” (pp. 263–279)
· Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012). Lifespan development course preview [Video]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 2 minutes.
Accessible player –Downloads– Download Video w/CC Download Audio Download Transcript
The post Application Assignment: The Issues of Social Class appeared first on Smart Essays.