According to Erickson, the crisis of adolescence is one of identity versus role confusion, which propels an individual from the simplistic identity of childhood to a more integrated and complex view of him or herself. Reflect on your own experiences in developing a personal identity during adolescence.
- What thoughts, emotions, and behaviors do you remember as part of this period?
- Do you feel that “crisis” is an accurate description of this stage of development?
- Do you think identity formation ends in adolescence or is it an ongoing process?
Adolescence is also a time when some individuals engage in risky behaviors such as: experimenting with alcohol and drugs, texting while driving, having unprotected sex, etc.
- What do you see as the causes and consequences of risky behaviors?(Hint: use what you learned in the text to support your answer)
- How could we reduce the occurrence of these types of behaviors? BE SPECIFIC